Monday, July 14, 2014

Vigilante Nights - First Kiss Excerpt

July 18 marks the one-year anniversary of the official release of my young adult suspense novel Vigilante Nights! Woohoo! To celebrate I’m giving you the first kiss excerpt!

Setting up the first kiss: Lucas rescues his next door neighbor, Tara, from her bad date at the first dance of the school year and drives her home. But he has more on his mind…

Excerpt:

I couldn’t stop staring at the opening of her blouse, the creamy upper swell of her breasts. “I wanted to take you to the dance.” I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans.

“There’ll be other times, right?” she said softly, shyly, too freaking cute.

Endorphins sprang to life. “Definitely.” Side by side, we walked up to her porch. Landscape lights radiated yellow beams across the walkway and newly filled planters of funky tall grasses and late-blooming flowers. “Tell Denny, case he forgets, we’re not meeting tomorrow.”

“Sure. Alyssa told me you’re all going on a yacht trip in the Bay, an annual thing your father’s law firm does. Sounds fun.”

“Doubt it. But my parents insist we go as a family,” I mocked with no real conviction. “I’ll be hard pressed to keep my mind off tonight.” I slanted toward her. “Or off you,” I whispered in her ear, inhaling her tropical fruit shampoo into my senses, willing it to drown out the lousy night.
The length of her quaked against me. “Try. They have no proof.”

“I feel guilty. And I don’t even know what was taken.” My lips toured her silky neck, along her jaw line toward her mouth.

“Dalton made you feel that way.” Tara made a clicking sound in her throat. “I . . . believe you.”
I touched my lips to hers, firm, soft, tasting spearmint. “Thanks,” I said against her lips. Drawing closer, I kissed her gently. Her mouth parted slightly, her tongue darted out then hid from me as if afraid. A hot stream of desire fed my blood, and I was useless to cut it short. Easing away before I turned her off, I released her hand.

Dazed, I strolled home. Another seed of life sprouted in my barren soul, replicating as fast as those dragsters had snuffed out my light. For the first time since the Summer of Delirium, I felt like I might be okay one day. For real.

Praise for Vigilante Nights:

Red herrings throw suspicion on various characters until the action culminates in a page-turning climax … A multifaceted story of revenge, violence, romance–and a touch of the paranormal–that will appeal to a broad audience. ~School Library Journal

VIGILANTE NIGHTS is brilliant for a Young Adult book. It faces the pressure and craziness of teenagers in horrible areas. It's a mystery book with twist and turns at every path. The ending was amazing. It was beautiful… Let just say it involves peace. ~Alice/KittiKat Reviews

The premise of VIGILANTE NIGHTS is absolutely fascinating. It's part contemporary urban street gang, part ghost story, part haunting journey from grief to hope. An action-packed second half should appeal to readers who enjoy urban thrillers with a hint of supernatural. ~YA Books Central


Buy Links: