Sunday, December 06, 2009

Agent News - 12/6/09

Through these busy holidays, I'm restricting my blog to Agent updates and new book releases. I barely have enough time to write a few pages each day!

**New Agent** Susan Hawk has joined The Bent Agency as an agent. Hawk, who was most recently marketing director at Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, will be representing young adult and middle grade authors and is actively acquiring nonfiction and fiction (especially literary fiction), as well as fantasy, science-fiction, historical fiction and mystery. (Source: Publishers Weekly)

**New Agent** Kathleen Ortiz of Lowenstein Associates is looking for YA fiction and non-fiction only. Ms. Ortiz was kind enough to provide me with her interests and submission requirements as follows:

"Looking for any and all types of YA, both fiction and non-fiction, only. No adult stuff. For YA fiction I’m open to everything from contemporary to fantasy, though I’d absolutely love to find an amazing steampunk manuscript or a manuscript that tackles really edgy or taboo issues. I don’t mind taking a risk if the writing is good. While I’m open to all sorts of points of view and male or female protagonists, I’d love to find a romance from the guy’s point of view. For non-fiction I’m looking for something that appeals to teen guys, though I’m open to various topics (see below for what I’m NOT looking for).

Not looking for picture books, chapter books or middle grade. In YA non-fiction, I’m not interested in fashion or dating guides.

Best way to get in touch with me: go to http://www.lowensteinassociates.com/ and fill out the form that’s on Barbara Lowenstein’s page (this will change once our web person gets back, but for now – that’s how to query). Just be sure to indicate somewhere in the form that it’s YA so I know it’s for me. Please don’t query me directly through email, as those get deleted. We take form submissions, only. Please do not e-mail me directly – use the form, only."

Agent Don Congdon, 91, died Monday at his home in Brooklyn. As the NYT notes in their obituary, he "spotted the talent of Ray Bradbury early in both their careers [and Bradbury remained his client from 1947 on] and whose long list of celebrated authors also included William Styron, Jack Finney, Evan S. Connell, William Shirer."